Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Email Response To My Question of When from Alyson??

I have to first start this post by saying what an important role the internet has played in informing me. I find support from other adoptive Mom's when I read their blogs, I read and re-read emails from Half the Sky about updated information in reguards to the earth quake and relief efforts and I find hope and information on my Chengdu Yahoo email group.

I just felt like I needed to ask Alyson who has been posting on our Chengdu Yahoo group a question about how long the "hold" might be. From what I gather she is in Chengdu at the moment and might work for Half the Sky? If anyone that is reading this knows can you please leave me a comment. I am so happy she emailed me/the group back.

Here is the email I email her this evening via our Chengdu yahoo group:
Alyson, Do you have any insight on how long this hold will be? ( I am sure you understand why I am asking.) It is just hard to wait when you have no time line. Don't worry if you do not....just wondering. Thanks, Michele

Here is the reply that I got back soon after I emailed her:
"I so wish I had an answer for you, since I can't imagine waiting even a day longer than most of you have already been waiting. (I adopted in the days when I had a 9 month "gestation" - from dossier to China to babe in arms!)

I can tell you that this province is mourning deeply and MANY, many things are on hold, scaled back, cancelled... This weekend China celebrates Dragonboat festival and I heard that there is a good chance that the usual festivities will be cancelled, though they will probably float candles down the river in memory of the victims. Kindergarten graduation is a monumental event here and our school has scaled back to a very modest in house party. (I think there usually is a stage, lights, costumes, etc involved.) Kids are now getting out of school at 3PM instead of the usual 4 or 4:30. My usual preschool class of 27 has finally reached 18 kids. This is just to give you an idea of how life on the surface is looking mostly like normal, but so many things are not.

I have heard that there is still a lot of relief traffic coming and going from the airport. A friend has gone back to his "scene of the crime" on Qingcheng Mountain and said he has seen that they are already tearing down buildings.

So, there is a chance that adoptions could start soon, but I think there is a better chance that it might be a while, especially for kids that are NOT in Chengdu. I think many people have their hands full and are overwhelmed.

It seems that someone contacted Patricia from Half the Sky recently. I know that she is in Chengdu right now, and she might actually have some insight. Jenny Bowen also had a post today, though I don't think she posted on this list, so I will post that too.

I hope I am wrong and you will all get travel approval tomorrow! (Especially since I was hoping to connect in Chengdu with a couple of you!!) Alyson"

Thank you Alyson . It is just a little bit easier to understand more when I know what is going on around Chengdu. I hope to one day meet you in person!

No comments: