Sunday, June 15, 2008

Personality

Sophie Wei just takes our breath away!
Sophie has such a great personality. Here she is being silly.



She always does this little face. So cute. She is whitey, sassy and has the best sense of humor.
Last post for the day. I better get some sleep so I can help Rick keep up with our two little girls tomorrow.

Tomorrow we decided to take a rest and not do any site seeing. Just hang out here on the Island. After breakfast we are going to go watch the dancing and morning singing and workouts on the river front and then do some more shopping. Fun!

On Tuesday I think we might do the same. Our guide is going to the US Consulate for us on Tuesday to get things ready for our appointment on Wednesday. I can't wait for that day. One more step closer to coming home!

Today we also received some of those questions that you know people do not mean any harm by but they make you wonder if they think before they open their mouth! Here are some of those questions that really should never be said.

One lady asked Rick today, I was not by them but could hear her. Is that your daughter? (asking about Simone in the stroller) Is that your daughter too? (about Sophie Wei walking up to him). Is that your wife? (as I walk up to them). Then she stares at both of us and then asks some thing like, "you American, they Chinese and they don't look like you." Why doesn't she ask if they are adopted or from China. It is just the way she went about it and her facial expressions that rubbed me the wrong way and to say it in front of Simone who can understand conversation!

The other day some one asked Simone if the girls were sisters. I replied yes. Then they said, no biological sisters? Real sisters? I said, "Yes they are sisters." I could go on and on. I guess this just rubs me the wrong way some times because we get this off and on. We have been asked questions before and they do not bother us when they are asked tacitly or respectfully or if they are just curious about adoption in general. We do get a lot of looks because our family is different and that really does not bother me, just the things people say!
I guess maybe I am just a little sensitive about it and need to come up with better things to say in reply. Sorry just venting.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

People can be so annoying but don't let it take away from your experience in China with your family... having said that... I would most likely have been rubbed the wrong way too... take care

Robin said...

Hey, I have been reading your blog and want to say that your girls are precious. I have 2 little girls adopted from China too who are 4 and 5 and I wanted to tell you those same questions will be worse when you get home. I get this almost daily "Are they sister?" Yes! is my answer, then they will almost always say 'No, I mean are they REAL sisters?" Then I will look at them real stern and say "They are Now!" It does get old. I dont understand why people ask these kind of questions in front of the girls. Anyway, just wanted to share with a comeback that works and usually shuts people up. Safe travels home! Robin

Heather said...

I understand your frustration. Plus, you don't want Simone hearing things. My other friend who has biological and adopted gets offended when people ask odd questions. She feels that they are all her children and no different than each other. It's hard. People often don't think before they speak. I wonder if the Chinese just say what is on their mind- cultural? Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Sophi is so adorable. Such a happy sweet little one--you are truly blessed!!

mimifrancoise said...

Hi, I have been lurking and admiring your beautiful girls. I am the grandmother of two beauties from China. If someone has the bad manners to ask me if they are "real sisters? I nicely respond (in a sweet voice) "Why do you want to know?". They usually clam up! I realize it is not very polite of me, but their question is intrusive and not polite either
Fran

Anonymous said...

Of Course they are real sisters..aren't they real little girls??? People are so annoying! Love you tons can't wait to see you!!!


Jen