Friday, June 27, 2008

Tenative Medical Plan

(This photo was taken on our last day in China, June 19th. After things settle down I will finish posting about our trip and you will see more of these photos. I thought these two photos were fitting for this post.)

Today we met with Sophie Wei's Pediatric Orthapetic Surgeon and his Intern who is studying under him. We felt so comfortable with both of them!! What a blessing. My friend Melissa has been sharing with me about how important it is that you feel comfortable with your child's doctor so we are blessed that things went well today and maybe Rick and I can get some sleep! I went to bed at two am last night and not sure when I finally drifted off to sleep. Rick also has not been sleeping.

Simone got to stay with her Auntie Rachel today. She enjoyed playing with Lauren and Jake. Then Tammy (my friend from college) came over with her daughters Grace and new born baby girl Mei. Simone had a blast with them all and was smiling on the way home.

The doctors spent around 1.5 hours with us and we felt NO RUSH! The hardest part was the traffic on the way home, it took us an hour to reach Rachel's when it sho
uld be around 25 minutes - 30 minutes.

Things went well from the start. Traffic was light, we walked right in, checked in, paid the co-pay and then they came out to call us in. Went in talked with the Nurse and met the Doctors real quick. Then we were sent down to take an x-ray.

As the x-ray machine started to move in the quite room, I hear, click click grrr. I duck my head and the sound of it moving started to make my tummy sick and I was doing every thing to hold back my tears as Sophie Wei's eyes start to tear up as she reached both hands out to me so I could pick her up but could not. She then assumed her position, sucking on her two fingers.

When when we arrived back in the Doctors exam room and while looking at the x-ray that they had just taken of Sophie the doctor starts to explain what is going
on.

Sophie Wei has a hip dislocation, also known as Hip Dysplasia. Here is one good web site I found with great information and here is another.

She will have done:
1. Open reduction (bikini line opening),
2. Femur reduction (cutting the femur bone and attaching it to the pelvis to help repair the flat shelf) and

3. Pemberton Osteotomy

I start crying as soon as he started talking about cutting the femur bone on her right leg and using that to repair the shelf lip fold on her pelvis. One of the doctors hands me a tissue and then she handed the box to Rick. Then I needed to sit down, put Sophie Wei in my lap and then she reminds me that she wants her own spot on the chair in between Rick and I. He continues to say that the femur bone will regrow. If there still is a big difference in limb lengths then we could shorten the longer femur or use inserts but that is a decision for way down the road.
He also said that it is easier to deal with a limb difference than not having a hip that does not work. (I had quick flash backs of what I learned in Anatomy and Physiology Class, understanding what he is talking about and recognizing most words but at the same time thinking, this is happening to our little girl and she has been through so much already.) There will also be some other considerations once he gets in there but these are the big ones.

He said he is not sure if he will do her tendon surgery in her calf as well but will know more and most likely will do it so she will not need another surgery.

He also gave us information to contact the Prosthetics and Orthotics company. He ordered her Denis Brown Bar and shoes so we can continue with her club feet treatment. We have an appointment set up for July 8th to get fitted for that. We hope that our insurance will cover this because it is a durable medical piece of equipment. We of course will still get it even if it is not covered.

Here are some of the things we learned about Sophie Wei's condition from her doctors:

  • Congenital hip abnormalities are higher in girls, more common in the left foot and Sophie Wei's is the right which is not normally seen.
  • Can be from being born in the breech position.
  • He eased our minds that she should not be in any pain as for now.
  • On the top of the femur there is a ball and that has not developed normally and it is very important that she has this fixed to help reduce severe problems later in life for example arthritis.
  • The top of her femur does not fit into her hip socket.
  • He will know more about the tendons and ligaments once he is in surgery.
  • He noticed the way she walks and Rick talked with him about how stiff she when she first gets up to walk after sitting down.
  • She will have a full body cast on. From the chest down, full right leg and half left. There will be an area left open to go to the bathroom. Not sure who the diaper will work but he did say that for kids that are potty trained parents have not had problems, only one did.
  • She will be in the hospital for at least three days.
  • We will be at a different location for the surgery which we feel very comfortable where it is, up on the Hill at Dornbeckers!
They will be calling us in a around two weeks for surgery. Tentatively the surgery will be in four to six weeks, that is the first opening. She will be in a full body cast for six weeks. No therapy right away because she needs to remain stiff for a while to keep the healing going and then therapy.

Today was also a very big day for our good friend Mike.

We were unable to attend his change of command ceremony due to it being out of town but we are SO HAPPY for his new position. He is going to be in charge of a very prestigious Motor Life Boat School for the US Coast Guard. We know you will miss running your station on down on the coast and we will miss traveling down there to see you and the pottery place but it will be so sweet for you guys to go back home for a while! Just think where the Russell's began.

Thanks Mike for all that you do for our Country and we are so PROUD OF YOU!! xoxo

So thankful for the Amundson's for bringing us over dinner yesterday for today! Once again we are so blessed with the support of our friends and family. Thanks everyone for the emails and comments. We do appreciate and read them all. We are just having a hard time keeping up with the reply's.

Time for me to go to sleep.

As I go to bed tonight I pray for Sophie Wei's health and her continued transition in a positive direction, her bonding with our family, for Simnon's transition/adjustment and for Rick & I to have the strength to remain positive and provide a healthy environment for Sophie Wei and Simone so they do not sense our worries about this procedure, to live for today and enjoy every moment.

So for now I will continue to get caught on blogging about our trip to China but after that I be putting my camera away for a while and take a brake from blogging so I can just enjoy our family.

I will still be posting home updates and medical updates but less photos and entry's. We really do appreciate everyones prayers and find great comfort in reading other friends blogs.

I feel that I need more sleep and I usually blog after everyone has gone to bed. I also need to devote more time to my work outs. I was doing so good the past few months thanks to motivation from my friend Beth and fellow school friends but a few weeks before we went to China my progress halted. At the time I was OK with it because so MUCH had to be done but I need to get back on track!!

Yesterday and the day before was my first day back running and I could barely do three miles. I started watching the timer at twelve minutes and had to turn my speed way down. Honestly I find huge comfort in eating during stressful times but when I am working out it keeps my focus on healthy eating in check. I also benefit greatly in the results from the exercise and sleep better which I need a lot of that now.

I am also reflecting back on the verse that I found on Shanas(click here for her blog) blog, Remembering that God is in control and we are so thankful for him:

Come to me and rest in my loving presence. You know that this day will bring difficulties, and you are trying to think your way through those trials. As you anticipate what is ahead of you, you forget that I am with you - now and always. Rehearsing your troubles results in experiencing them many times, whereas you are meant to go through them only when they actually occur. Do not multiply your suffering in this way! Instead, come to me and relax in my peace. I will strengthen you and prepare you for this day, transforming your fear into confident trust. (Matthew 11:28-30; Joshua 1:5, 9)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of these complications. Thank goodness Sophie is here to receive the best medical treatment, and has a great family to support her through it. She is such a happy, optimistic little soul--I'm sure she will adapt and do well. And so will you!!

Anonymous said...

We have had so much fun watching Sophie Wei enjoying her family. You are all such an inspiration. Reading your post about her upcoming medical procedures brings tears to my eyes. We will continue to pray that she will truly know and feel your love, hugs, and kisses... even through the body cast. Please, please call if there is any little thing we can do to help... errands or whatever.
Carrie Duffey

3 Peanuts said...

I am so sorry to hear about how difficult this is. I love the quote you posted. It helps me though challenging times too. That devotional is great. I will pray for you and sweet Sophie. Blessings.,
Kim

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Thinking of you all...

Anonymous said...

I am a lurker catching up on your wonderful blog and this Biblical reference really touched me. I am one of those anxious worriers who way over anticipates what is ahead only to discover it is never as bad as I thought it would be. The words really called to me but when I saw the Biblical reference, I was blown away. You see, my sons names are Joshua and Matthew. I've printed off the verse and know it will become a real touchstone for me. Thanks so much for sharing.

I will be praying for all 4 of you over the next difficult days and know that God is with you.

Kat