Thursday, June 05, 2008

Six More Days!

Six more days until we see Sophie! (Actually five since we loose a day traveling).

Today was a great day with a lot of things that were checked off my to do list.

My friend Kimi arrived at my school shortly after I started my day. She is doing some running around for us today. She is going to the Medical supply store to pick up needles, syringes, etc. so we have them just in case. She is also going to Target to get some last minute things like a surge protector and basic necessities for home. Then she will be off to Michaels to get some earring backers for my earrings so they do not fall out and some more read thread for my students so tomorrow they can make red thread bracelets while they have lunch with me. Then she is off to Fred Meyers to purchase some sides for Becca's birthday party tonight. Then she is going some where else but I can't remember....... Happy Birthday Becca! Thanks Kimi for all of your help....

I was so lucky to have my friend Jean sub for me in the morning so I could finish my grades. I also told every class the good news about us leaving on Sunday. It was exciting to tell them since they have been such a big part of the journey but I also found it hard because I was also saying good by to them for the year. It was especially hard for my fifth graders because they are moving on to a new school next year.

I got extremely emotional during Ms. Colman's fifth grade class. Cole said, "are you not going to be here for field day?" Nitin also said, "can I go?" (Which a lot of the students are asking me.) I told him if he can fit in my suite case :O) Everyone laughed.

Then someone asked me what I was packing. I can't remember who said this but I will try and remember. I started talking about traveling light, only having one suite case each at 44 lbs. or less. Then as I was saying that I am bringing matching dresses for the girls so it will be one way to help them bond......Then I started to explain to them that even though this is such a happy time for us it will be a hard time for Sophie Wei because she will be leaving the only family that she knows....I cry just thinking about how her heart will brake....I told them that even though she does not have a Mommy and Daddy right now she has Ayi's that love her very much....

I was so thankful for having Jean there because when ever I would get shocked up or start to cry she would help me and talk for me. Thanks Jean!

I told this class that they can follow the blog while we are in China but they must have their parents permission first!! So kids, if you are reading this please make sure you have your parents permission first :O)

Then Jeni surprised me with lunch!! SO nice since I did not bring one.
After working some more I finished my grades before my first afternoon class. WHAT A HUGE RELIEF. Thanks, Mrs. Edwards!!

Here are a few more memories that stand out in my mind.....After lunch I had Mrs. Menors class. Once again Cody asked if he could fit in my suite case.....They are so funny! Josh then asked me if Sophie knew who her Birth Mom was. I told him unfortunately not. He then said, "Well she is gonna love you!" It brought tears to my eyes again. Then Mrs. Loniewski's Class was the last class of the day. When it was time to go to the buses they were all giving me hugs. They are such a sweet class....yes, I know, you think I say that about them all but they are!

After school I spend about an hour and a half or longer on the phone working on our itinerary with my case worker. Things look good but there are still a few questions to firm up tomorrow.

We also got good news from my friend Tami that Simone got in the summer gymnastics class that we have been waiting to get into!!! It is with her favorite gymnastics coach, my former PE partner, Nasko....So we are so very happy about that and Sara will have class at the same time!

Then we went to The Watson's to help celebrate Beccas Birthday! We had a nice time. The Watson's had a couple of gifts for Sophie. Becca made her a small pink snugly blanket, got her a Chinese Doll that matches Simones (it smells just like baby powder) and a memory card down loader for the computer. (Thanks Bec, I will use it), and a nice card. Here is what the card said. (Yes this post is long because after Sophie my blogging days will slow down, so while I have the time and because this card touched me so.)

Life's Pathway
An Inspirational Message By Emily Matthews
At times, life's path seems filled with things that make the going rough, and we wish there were a smoother road, for we feel we've had enough.....

But, if we pause a moment and remember Who's in charge, the hills that loom ahead of us no longer seem so large, and every rock before us, when we know we're not alone, Becomes, not just a stumbling block, but one more stepping stone.

You've overcome so many things, and, every time, you've grown through sheer determination and the wisdom that you've shown. So, as you face this journey, from the moment you begin, know that God will guide you, and you'll have the strength to win.

Love that card!

Then we came home to do more work. I had a nice visit on the phone with my friend and teacher who is taking over for me, Laura. Rick worked on Skype and Kimi fixed our computer and looked for Simones baby doll's clothes and cleaned the play room. Rick also cleaned the garage again.

Time for some sleep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! We are so excited for you. We arrived with Emi in the U.S. 1 year ago tomorrow. We saw Simone at Papermaker yesterday and Emi is excited to have a new friend up there next year. Simone recognized us from dance class.

Our prayers and thoughts will be with you. We pray that the transition for Sophie will go as smoothly as possible. We had prepared for the worst, but were blessed with the best. Remember to watch out for cars, wash your hands, and take toilet paper with you.

Love, Kendra, Bruce, Riley, Will, Emi, Claire

"A Small Gift, but Well-Timed" said...

Hey,
Just thinking about you and praying for you guys as you head off on this most amazing trip. What a blessing! You are such a cool family and we can't wait to meet little Sophie in person! What a lucky little girl to have such a loving family to come into. We love you guys! Have a safe trip.

See you when you get back. We'll be checking the blog every day!

Love, Beth, Jonathan, Nicholas and Charlotte