Monday, May 12, 2008

Earthquake Information From Half the Sky

Below is an email I got this afternoon from Half the Sky:

"Dear Friends,

We have received many emails and calls about the terrible earthquake that struck Sichuan and Chongqing yesterday. We have reached the three orphanages where Half the Sky operates programs:


Chengdu, Chongqing and Yibin. All is well. At each place, the children were all evacuated until the tremors passed. The buildings suffered no great damage. And no child was injured.

We will reach out to other welfare institutions in the province today. Should we learn of any problems or earthquake-related needs, I’ll post another note.

Some of you have also written regarding the EV71 hand-foot-mouth virus that has affected many, particularly young children, in several provinces.The orphanages are taking special precautions and no child in an institution has been reported infected. We are monitoring this also.

While Half the Sky exists first and foremost to provide nurturing care and education to orphaned children, we are pleased to be in a position to be the eyes and ears on the ground in China for all of you who have such concern for all aspects of the children's welfare. We are so grateful to those of you who make our presence in China possible.

with love,Jenny


Jenny Bowen

Executive DirectorHalf the Sky Foundation
www.halfthesky.org
Half the Sky was created in order to enrich the lives and enhance the prospects for orphaned children in China. We establish and operate infant nurture and preschool programs, provide personalized learning for older children and establish loving permanent family care and guidance for children with disabilities. It is our goal to ensure that every orphaned child has a caring adult in her life and a chance at a bright future.
"

Below are some more emails from family and friends that we got after we sent out an email with the above letter in it! I can not bring my self to delete them and I have to save them as these made such a big impact on our life today! This first one from Cyndy brought tears to my eyes! They are all treasured emails as we have a lot to be thankful for. We still do pray and think about all of the people in China that have been affected by this earthquake. We feel for them!!

"chelle: I am so very glad to hear all is okay with Sophie. I have had you in my thoughts & prays and will continue to do so. I love you guys so much!! You are so important in my childrens' lives, I feel as if you're my family too. Here is hoping your family can be united very soon. Cyndy"

"That is great news! When I read your earlier email, my heart went out to you. I am so happy to hear that Sophie all the children are safe. Love Ya, Bethanie"

"What a relief!!!" (Rachel)

"Michele, So glad to hear that things seem to be okay for Sophie! All the more reason to be thankful that you get to leave soon to go get her! Jessica C."

"THANK GOD! I am so relieved for you guys Michele!" (Kimi)


"Thank you Jesus! Litterally, thank you Jesus!!!Roxanne"

"Good to hear, I have been thinking about you all day.....
~Amy"

"Thank God!!! We will continue to pray for your family and that you may be united shortly! Please keep me posted on when you will be leaving....it is pretty funny, you got Simone around the same time as I had Luke, and now little Sophie will be joining us as I am about to have my own little girl! Can't wait to meet her! Summer"

"Praise God, Michele, I have a friend who is adopting from China this month they are scheduled to go and get their son. I have no idea if the quake effected their orphange. I did pass on your blog to her, I hope you don't mind. I will get more details from where they are adopting. Pray for her as well, (P and E, J H 15 months old.) Em"

"Thank you so much for the update...so glad Sophie is ok. Denise"

1 comment:

Bruce Burton said...

We thought of you immediately when we heard the news this morning and we were glad to read that everything is OK with Sophie.

We know you can't wait to get her home and pray that the days go fast.

Bruce & Kendra