Monday, May 12, 2008

Chengdu Earth Quake

This morning ask I checked my email before work this is what I see....Two emails from friends that have the words Sophie as the subject. I open this one from Denise first, then from Kimi. I knew nothing about the earthquakes...yet. I am saving both of these emails for Sophie. As I was reading them my heart just sank! Read below:

"I have been thinking of you and praying for Sophie and the other children. Do you know anything about the orphanage? Maybe your agency can find out something?
I know how you must be feeling...praying for you~
Denise"

"Have you heard anything from your agency regarding the earthquake in China? I am assuming you heard a 7.8 quake hit this morning 57 miles north of Chengdu. If not there is a link below... Chris and I are both watching for any information, but nothing so far regarding Chengdu specifically. I'm praying everything is fine. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7396400.stm

Kimi"

My tummy and heart just sank!! I just want to help but I can't! I keep thinking about our little Sophie and everyone else in Chengdu and surrounding areas...Praying for them. I call Rick at work. He gets up very early and heard about it on the news. I emailed our case worker to see what she can find out. Thanks Denise for the idea.

Then just as I leave we get another email from Nadine:

"I just saw this when I turned on the computer this morning...have you heard?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24573168/?GT1=43001
We are thinking of Sophie and hoping all is well!!
Nadine"

Thanks everyone for thinking of us, Sophie and everyone else in the Chengdu Area that have been affected by this!

Below are some more links about it:

Here is another link to a person who is in China right now and blogged about the Earth Quake (not sure where I found this one??):

http://www.npr.org/blogs/chengdu/


Thanks to Matha from my Chengdu Adoption Yahoo Group I found this link to a blog. Check it out.
http://willgoestochina.blogspot.com/2008/05/earthquake.html

Here are some more comments from friends and family. I hope I got them all here. Some of you may wonder why I save these?? A few reasons. One is because I want Sophie to know that we choose her and we are praying for her every day. We also want her to know that so many of our friends and family are thinking of her too. We always want her to know how much she is loves. We are also using this blog as a scrapbook. So below are some of the comments we have recieved after sending out a email to friends and family:

"Michele,
I saw this this morning...and immediately thought of calling you.
Let us know if you hear anything...
David"

"Oh, Michele! I thought of your family this morning. Sophie will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted!" (Andrea M.)

"Michele -We are so sorry to hear about the earthquake. Pleasekeep us updated! Rachel"

"Michele,
Know that we are praying for Sophie and also for the Houston family! We love you! Janet and Shelby"

Mary M. (some how deleted her first email.)

"Thank you! (It is Cami's Birthday Today.) Let us know about Sophie as soon as you know. I have said a little prayer. Thinking of you!" (Cami)

"Hey there, Our charter e-mail account isn't working. Only the hotmail one. Marci wrote me and asked me to forward on the below e-mail to you because hers isn't working either.
OMG!! I didn't know till she just wrote. PLEASE keep us updated if you hear anything. You all are in our prayers!!! Love you, Windy, Mike and Collin"

"Oh Michele, how scary! We're praying for little Sophie and the others. I read the article you linked to and at least it said at the bottom of the article that there weren't any collapses in Chengdu...I hope that comforts you a little until you hear she's safe. Just keep telling yourself - Sophie is meant to be with you, she'll be home with you soon! We'll be thinking of you and your family. All our love, Dan and Marci"

(Carrie Duffey and Family....By mistake deleted theirs while I was doing this....So I don't have there email on here but they are thinking of Sophie too.)

"I just saw this news article right before I got your email and wondered if Sophie was in this part of China. I'm praying she is safe..I'm sure you must be going crazy so I am praying for you too. Love you, Karen"

"Oh Michele,I pray that everything is okay for her. It sounds like Chengdu may have made it through without too many problems??? Let's get her home!!!" (Auntie Becca)

"Michele, You know that your family and little Sophie are in my prayers! Lori"

"Praying like mad...please keep us posted on what you hear.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo"(Melissa)

"The news sounds good out of Chengdu. Rumor Queen seems to be on top of things. I haven't checked Half the Sky's site yet. Denise"

"I am praying for our little girl and those who are caring for her. Thanks for keeping me updated. Thinking of you and Rick!" (Beth)

"Here is a link to a news article about the earth quake near Chengdu.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24573168/?GT1=43001Our own Pandafamily members Michele and Rick Houston have a waiting daughter in Chengdu. I want to personally offer Michele and her family the best hope for good news.Mary"

"I’ll keep her in my prayers. You are such a strong sane person. Keep it up, she’ll soon be with you!" (Kris)

"Have you heard back about how Sophie is doing? How far was she from this?
sum"

"Dear Michelle:
She has been on mind all morning. Of course, we will pray for her and the people affected. I hope all is well. It may take a while to get news but please let us know when you hear anything.
Love,
Maria"

"TY – I’m forwarding it home so I can take my time and read it. Thanks for sharing in your special adventure. Cil"


"We've been thinking about Sophie all day... Michele, please let us know if you hear anything. I'm going to go check your blog and keep checking it for details. We are praying that her orphanage is okay. I have been reading all the news articles I can find. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! Jess & David & kids...."

2 comments:

julia @say you will love me forever said...

We are also in the process of adopting a child from Cheng Du. He is almost three years old (on June 12th)and has had corrective cleft lip/palate surgery. I spoke to our adoption agency (all god's children)today. They have a family in Cheng Du right now. The family and their son are fine. The adoption agency seemed to think that the city in general is doing well. They are checking on the status of our son. I will let you know what I find out. I just found your blog by doing a search on the orphanage. I haven't had time to read anything but what you posted today. I would love to keep in touch and hear all about your trip to China. We should be traveling in Dec/Jan to meet our son. Who knows, maybe our two sweet children are playing together right now?! julia, indianapolis.

julia @say you will love me forever said...

I just heard from my adoption agency that they are sending their China contact to Cheng Du now to check on the family that is there and to also specifically check on the other 5 children that have families matched to them (one of whom is our Caleb). I should have details by tomorrow! julia.