Tuesday, May 13, 2008

After Shock and Another Letter from Half the Sky

"Hello again,

During the past several hours Half the Sky has been working hard to get more information about the children impacted by the Sichuan and Chongqing earthquake. We know that it is not only children in welfare institutions who are in trouble. We know that hundreds of children have been separated from their families, have lost their parents, are hurt, traumatized and in pain. We know we must help; we have been working to figure how best to do so.

We have just a little bit of news. There have been hundreds of aftershocks, one reported to be as strong as 6.0. Children have again been evacuated from the Chengdu institution. Relief workers have arrived in the epicenter, Wenchuan. The Ministry of Civil Affairs (this is the ministry that HTS works with and also the agency responsible for disaster relief) has been unable to reach orphanages in the most affected areas: Mianyang, Zitong, Deyang and Aba. There are other welfare institutions in the affected areas but no others that house children. Each of the four institutions above houses about 100 children. We believe they will need help. We will continue to watch and wait.

Many of you have asked us to set up an emergency relief fund, like we did during the winter storms. Given the nature of this disaster and the fact that help for children may well be needed outside welfare institutions (where we have a direct line) we have waited to set up such a fund until we had absolute assurance that we could put a system in place to deliver the aid where it is most desperately needed.

Half the Sky takes the designation of a donor-restricted gift seriously - that's our promise to you. We understand that when you make an emergency donation, you put your trust in us. We have spoken very carefully about this with our colleagues at the Ministry of Civil Affairs. We now have their promise as well.

In cooperation with the ministry, we have now set up the Half the Sky Children's Earthquake Fund. Your donations to the fund will be used to provide emergency and long-term relief to children affected by the disaster. Relief will include emergency shelter, food, and medical care for children orphaned or separated from their families. It will include temporary or long-term foster care or, when necessary, temporary institutional care.

We have a commitment from the ministry that we will receive regular updates on the use of funds and, most important, the well-being of the children.

Within a few hours we will have available a dedicated donation site. In the meantime, if you wish to make a gift to aid children in Sichuan and Chongqing affected by the quake, you may donate through our website, www.halfthesky.org. Please note that your gift is for earthquake relief.

I will give you more information as I receive it. Please don't write to ask about the situation in specific locations. I will tell you everything I know. Thank you for caring so much about the children. with love, Jenny Jenny Bowen Executive Director Half the Sky Foundation" www.halfthesky.org "

I know these things are in the hands of God but I am not getting excited to check my email in the morning, afraid of what I might find. On the other hand I am so impressed with Half the Sky!!! This is our second email from them and I know others are getting them too because another one was posted on my Chengdu Yahoo Group.

This reminds me of when 9-11 happened. While getting ready for work in the morning I recieve a phone call from my Dad. He asks me if I know what is going on and I did not. He was like, don't go any where, stay in side. He called me just after the first plane went down. I remember how my heart just ached for the people that this happened too and at the same time wondering about my very own freedom! I will never forget that day when my Dad called me. I hope that never happens again. I know the earthquake is different but I get that same feeling in the morning of not knowing what is going on, things are out of my control.

Anyways, Do you know why I get these emails from Half the Sky? Remember when I enquired about Sophie in the Granny or Little Sister Program? Well they kept my email and information from that one little email. No words can express how well they run this organization. We forever will support them as they are helping take care of All Children in China and our Daughter in China!!

Then I read this email from Becca. It brought tears to my eyes. Yes, I have had a few of them over the two days. Trying to stay strong. Here is what Becca wrote: "Thank God Sophie is okay. This sweet little angel has made it through a lot to come home to her family. There are angels watching over her, for sure. Maybe Grandma Smith angels...;) Love you guys."

I just pray for everyone in China that has been affected by this, everyone who is missing loved ones, for people that are hurt/have been hurt or can not find their family/friends and our little girl. We pray that everyone is safe. Thank you everyone for your prayers, Love Michele, Rick and Simone

No comments: