Friday, September 05, 2008

Hip Baby Yahoo Group

(Sophie Wei on August 30th, 2008 playing at her Cousin's Birthday Party.)

I have been thankful to find a very supportive Hip Baby Yahoo Group. I have learned a wealth of knowledge from these parents and people who have been through hip issues. Through this group I am able to receive emails of support, ideas and information. They even have tons of files that I have been able to read through and gain information from. I have also been able to see many photos of children in a Spica cast so that helps makes it more familiar and not so scary.

After recieving many emails today I sent this email out to everyone in the group:
"thanks again everyone for sharing... I am reading these posts with tears as we wait and anticipate Sophie Wei's surgery on wed. This does help reading this. I appreciate you all!"
~Michele Sophie Wei (surgery on Wed.)

This is an email I received from Bobi in reply to the above email that really touched my heart and brough lots of tears. I need to keep it:
"For me the time up to surgery was BY FAR the worst part for me. I was sick to my stomach, tearful and felt anguish inside- I couldn't imagine all this happening to my sweet daughter, let alone after waiting so long to finally get her home! There have been tough moment, just like life in general, but it has NOT been anywhere as bad as I had feared. I worried about diapering, holding her, picking her up etc. I can say all that is easier than I had thought. Not that my body doesn't hurt from picking her up and holding her and caring her, but it is doable.

My approach has been like another mommy mentioned about how she helps her child during this: love, attention, affection, holding, playing, and time together! Boy am I glad you all cant' see how goofy I am with her, and how much I enjoy it and adore her humor, fun and creativity! I do believe there are blessings that have come out of this hip journey, and I would not have imagined that
before the start of everything.

I felt like she/we'd be missing out on so much, but I have found ways to do nearly everything and we've found things that i would not have had she not been in the Spica. I am sill amazed and in awe of how this hip journey has not had a negative affect on my daughters personality, lovingness or disposition- not that there are not moments (like there would be if she wasn't in the Spica) but I must say the hip journey is survivable, doable, and Gracie is still thriving, not just surviving, while in the Spica.

We're 10 weeks into a 6 1/2 month Spica time frame and today I can say though I don't like it for her, or for us, I know that we can make it and I believe this is in her best interest and we do this out of love. I can't wait to tell her all about how amazing she is during this, along with so much more I can't wait to tell her all about!

Sending warmest thoughts and prayers for things to go the very best they
can as you prepare for surgery Wed! Please know that any questions you have, concerns or frustrations are always welcome here- there are so many who have helped me so much when I needed them- I can't imagine this without everyone here!

I am so grateful for the hope, support, information, encouragement and warm wishes---- they have meant the world to me and have helped me so much!
"

Bobi- proud mommy to hip baby Grace, 16 months (Dia. @ 11 mo.)
Congenital Dislocation and Developmental Dysplasia (L): AI 44 degrees
Closed Reduction with Adductor Tenotomy 6-23-08 @ 14 mo., dislocated-
Closed Reduction 7-8-08. Cast changes: 6-21-08 (too tight/ridges), re-do 6-28-08. Rx Spica cast for 6 months.

After reading her above email I felt to my self, WOW I needed that and she has so many of the same feelings I am having before the surgery. Here is the email Bobi sent me after I asked her permission to post her above email on my blog:

"Hi Michele,
That is fine with me, I too hang on to special posts from others that really helped me and touched my heart, they still bring hope and tears when I reread them. I know it was hard for me to believe when others shared that the wait before hand was the hardest part, but I have come to know it was true for me too- and I hope for you and your sweet little Sophie Wei. Please let me know how you guys are doing afterwords, when you have time. Know that you are not alone. Always with hope,"

Bobi-

2 comments:

rk said...

The ache in your heart is the ache of a mother. Powerlessness when we cant just make the problem go away with a snap. The journey you are experiencing is STRESSFUL for sure, but you are going through it with your daughter. I am so grateful she has your arms to hold her as she goes through this healing process, and look forward to the say it is a story in the past as we all watch her run through fields and kick soccer balls like nobody's business (her mama is a pe teacher after all! :0).

On another note, I heard this best upcoming artist this weekend… our church hosted Jason Gray… he was incredible (!!!)… he deals with a stuttering handicap, but sings better than anyone… if you link below & click on the left where it says “Launch Juke Box” you can hear one of my favorite songs he sang called, “Losers”… it’s whimsical and incredibly meaningful all at the same time… happy Monday!!!

Link: http://www.jasongraymusic.com/site.php

Roxx
http://www.sharingnotes.blogspot.com

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Praying for you and Sophie for tomorrow's surgery. I must agree with Michelle, the waiting has been the worst part...though we're only 2 weeks into our trip in Spicaville.
Hope to hear all is well soon!
Robbie