Friday, September 12, 2008

Day Three Surgery Update

I really should NOT be posting because I need the sleep. I think after I posted last night we only had an hour and a half more of sleep???? The Nurse just came in to check vitals and I said, oh, awe....She said, you can tell me you don't want me to. I said really, well then please don't do it now because she needs to sleep and just explained what we just went through with the new iv having to be put in by the Panda Team.

I am back. Sophie Wei was just fussing again so this will be very short.

We have had some good times and ruff times today.

I will update this post later to give more details.

Her epidural was taken out this evening, spica cast had to be cut and put pack together to get it out. She FREAKED out, started to revert to the first day/night/morning behavior that made me start to remember it and I cried, had to sk the nurse to get another nurse to help becuase I had to leave the room. SOphie Wei's doctors were here to do that. Her doctor could not get the epidural out and did not want to pull it so they had to get the saw to open it and then repair it. THEY ARE AMAZING and so caring.....A blessing to us all. The nurses and support staff are amazing as well. What a great team here.

Then this evening around ten when it was time for the meds through the IV we learned that it had many kinks in it and could not be saved. It was saved once today and another time already. So our RN, Jason, called in the Panda Team. Michelle and Josh from the panda team were wearing Red shirts with Pandas on them and black pants. Our other RN, Beth, said that they are so amazing. They sit here at the hospital and when needed go pick up critical babies and children when called. they leave by helicopter or ambulance. Since Sophie Weis arms are both "done" they had to use her left leg. The IV has been in her right but the left is bruised from surgery.

The Panda Team was amazing!!!! They even gave Sophie Wei a panda!! They used small warm pads to help her veins appear. What a blessing but it was tuff on "Sophie Wei.

Simone is here tonight. Wanted to be with us so she is. Scoot, Becca, Sara, Emma, Jeni and Reagan came to visit us tonight so that was nice and a blessing.

No time for spell check again. I need my sleep, even if it is for ten minutes or an hour.

There is a slight chance we will go home tomorrow evening but if we have another night again like last night or the others we WILL NOT be going home until every thing is manageable.

Today we made very special bracelets. I will cherish them forever. Simone had to finish mine because Sophie Wei needed out of the art room and put a very special blue bead on the end for me along with Becca's help.

I am praying that Robbi's advice will come true tomorrow and tomorrow will be the day. The best one yet :O) So I will pray.

I also want to pray for all of the other children and families here. We could have it much harder than what it is. One Mom told me today that she has been coming her since her son was two weeks old and he is now a teenager. He has been riding his wheel chair around here since we have been here. Today he was coming full steam ahead and one of the doctors got down like a football linemen. The young boy said, "I WILL RUN YOU OVER!" And kept on going, the doctor safely got out of the way and smiled. So did we as the boy peels away down the hall continuing on his mission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thinking about you guys and praying you all go home soon. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Marci and Family

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Oh, my! You have had a tough time. We've had the stomach bug at our house, so I haven't had time to check in. I pray all is well, that you've made it home, and you're settling in your spica routine. Ellie is amazing me now, almost 3 weeks post-surgery. She lives with the cast as if it is just part of life, smiling, playing, just being a kid!
Blessings,
Robbie